As we head out east to celebrate my brother's wedding, I am thinking about my family and how it came to be that we are all involved in entrepreneurial ventures.
Mom: private practice lawyer, politician, doer of good works
Dad: independent management consultant, DIYer, various side ventures
Evan: part of our first startup (Redasoft) at age 19, now runs a huge website and consulting practice giving motivation and resources to entrepreneurs
Stefanie: has an amazing social conscience, going to the Kigali Centre for Entrepreneurs in Rwanda to help local businesses get off the ground
And then there's me - serial entrepreneur in the bioinformatics space, married to Daniel, my partner in life, business, and silliness. I remember Dad helping me start my first business at age 11, designing patterns for plastic canvas needlework and putting together kits to sell with everything needed to do the project. I remember Mom giving speeches and raising money for causes she believed in, working hard to change the system. Being a part of Mom's political campaigns and Dad's ventures gave me the early seedlets of new venture creation, adding value, getting your ideas out there, and making a difference in the world.
I guess we all picked up on it, and I'm so proud of my sibs too. So we will celebrate love, togetherness, and new ventures on this trip, as we welcome another entrepreneur into the family, Evan's bride-to-be Sharon. Everybody salsa!!
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment